Spinach and artichoke lasagna Recipe
This is my Brazilian mother’s recipe for lasagna. She used ground beef in the sauce and filling and I added the artichokes to the recipe because I love them…I hope you like this recipe as much as I do!
- No bake lasagna noodles (soak in warm water for about 5 min to soften)
- 1 block of cream cheese (reg size- thinks its 8oz)
- 1 small container sour cream (can use low cal with cream cheese and sour cream if desired)
- 1 square pkg of frozen chopped spinach (about 1 cup when drained of all excess moisture)
- 1 small jar of marinated artichokes drained and chopped (make sure to remove any tough pieces)
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce (I usually make my own with 1 large can hand crushed canned whole tomatoes, 2 cloves crushed garlic, 2-3 sprigs of basil and 2 tsp evoo)
- 1 pkg shredded cheese (I like sargento mozzarella/provolone blend but any will work)
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 1-2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tsp good olive oil
- preheat oven to 350 and take cream cheese out of fridge. Let soften at room temp.
- Sauté garlic and olive oil in a pan for about 30 seconds. Take out garlic cloves and add pasta sauce. Allow to simmer for about 15 min on low heat while you prepare other ingredients.
- Defrost spinach in the microwave (about 3 min) when defrosted, drain off excess water. Add softened cream cheese, sour cream, chopped artichokes, nutmeg and 1/3 cup of cheese to the spinach. Mix all ingredients together and taste to make sure all is well seasoned
- Add a layer of pasta sauce and water (about 1/3 cup) to the bottom of the baking dish so that the pasta doesn’t dry out or burn while cooking then begin layering your lasagna. I alternate between the sauce and cheese/spinach mixture.
- Top the final sauce layer with cheeses (including parm) and bake covered with foil for about 30 min. Take foil off and cook for a final 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and has formed a nice crust on the top of the lasagna.
- ****I also make this recipe with ground turkey (sauté 1-1 ½ lb turkey with seasonings to taste until just browned then add 1/3 of the turkey to the cheese/spinach mixture and 2/3 to the sauce mixture all remaining steps are the same) and with proscutto (layer proscutto with the cheese mixture then top with either plain or meat sauce).
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.