Kava Shake Recipe
You’ve probably never heard of kava, but throughout the South Pacific, this root is turned into a powder and used to make a simple drink. That drink is an acquired taste, so we’ve dressed it up with flavors more familiar to our American palates. Just be forewarned that drinking too much does carry side effects.
What to buy: Kava powder can be found online.
This recipe was featured as part of our Drinks Around the World story.
- 1/4 cup kava powder
- 1/2 cup room-temperature water
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup ice
- Place kava powder in the middle of an 8-by-8-inch piece of cheesecloth or a coffee filter and tie tightly with butcher’s twine. Immerse in water and massage the cloth to thoroughly extract the fine powder, about 1 to 2 minutes. Squeeze the excess water from the cloth and discard.
- Combine kava mixture, coconut milk, cocoa powder, sugar, and ice in a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds.