Oatmeal Pudding Recipe
Hovering halfway between a hearty post-workout brekkie, and a simple, homey dessert, this recipe just depends on what you bring to the table, so to speak.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups milk (I've only tried with 2%, so go nuts)
- 2 egg yolks (or 1 whole egg, if you don't mind the stringy thing)
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- sprinkle of cinnamon to taste
- any addition your heart desires: raisins, chocolate chips, Baileys
- Add egg yolks to milk and beat thoroughly. This is important. If you think you’ve beat it enough, give it another dozen turns. You want yellow, slightly frothy milk, not milk with eggy spots in it. This is a good point to toss in the salt, sugar and cinnamon as well.
- Pour milk mixture into a large COLD non-stick frying pan. Add oatmeal, and stir until all is wettened.
- Turn the burner onto medium and heat, stirring constantly. When mixture is heated enough to start trying to bubble, and has started to thicken, cover and remove from heat. Leave it for a minute or two to finish cooking.
- Serve, adding a lashing of milk and some more brown sugar. Or perhaps some semi-sweet chocolate chips and a dash of Baileys? Dried fruit? Nuts and seeds? It’s oatmeal, folks; it don’t get much more tabula rasa than that.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.