Cheesy Tuna Mash Recipe
This is my standard comfort fare – if I’m sick or hungover or otherwise miserable, this comes out. Best eaten with a spoon, on the couch under a blanket. This makes quite a lot, but it heats up perfectly.
- 500g and good mashing potatoes, peeled and chopped into same size pieces
- 2 tab butter
- 1/4 cup cream
- 150 g grated cheese - whatever you have on hand, something to melt
- 1 tin (between 100 and 200g) of tuna in oil (olive oil is best, but any oil is okay - NOT in brine or water)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper and dried chilli flakes (optional)
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until they’re done, time depends on their size, but around 10-15 minutes.
- Start to mash them, then add cream and butter and continue mashing until smooth (or your preference).
- Stir through the tuna (including the oil if it’s olive oil, otherwise drain first) and onion and cheese and season well to taste. You might need to microwave the mix just quickly to make sure the cheese melts and everything is hot after the mashing. Enjoy!
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.