was part of
Food Fight: Thanksgiving Sides
which ended Oct 31, 2008 12:00 AM.
See winners »
Celery Root & Potato Mash Recipe
Not so boring mashed potatoes. This dish goes really well with everything, from Chicken to Lamb.
- 1 small Celeriac (celery root)
- 4 small/medium sized Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 Cup Flat Leaf Parsley - minced
- Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- Peel the celeriac root and wash any extra traces of dirt off. Wash the potatoes well. *note, I like to leave the peels on for extra texture, but you can peel your potatoes if you like.
- Cut the celeriac and potatoes into medium sized pieces. Put into a large cooking pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then reduce head to a simmer. Cook until soft enough to mash, about 30–40 minutes. Drain and let sit covered in the same pot that you used to cook them in, for about 5 minutes to remove excess water.
- Add cream, salt and then mash. I like to use a hand held masher as I prefer some texture to our mashed potatoes. Feel free to use whatever suits your personal taste. Stir in the parsley. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Eat and enjoy!
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.