Bokkum Gochujang 볶음 고추장 (Sauteed beef chili paste)
This is a variant of the chili paste dipping sauce that can be served with grilled, boiled, or stir fried meats, or various vegetable preparations. This is a basic variation that includes minced beef but omits the doenjang (soy bean paste) found in Ssamjang. Feel free to adjust quantities and ingredients until you arrive at the taste and texture you like best.
- 3 1/2 ounces lean beef
- 1 cup gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 ounce fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon white (untoasted) sesame seed
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed
- 1Partially freeze the beef for ease in prep.
- 2Thin slice the beef then fine chop (mince).
- 3Thin slice the garlic from top to bottom.
- 4Peel and thin slice the ginger, then fine chop (mince)
- 5Lightly coat a pan with cooking oil then heat over high heat.
- 6Add beef and garlic, and cook just until browned, stirring often.
- 7Reduce heat to medium and add the gochujang and rice wine. Mix well and cook for about two minutes.
- 8Remove from heat and let cool.
- 9Thin with water to desired constancy then add the rest of the ingredients.
- 10Mix well and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- 11Refrigerate until used.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved