Bokkum Gochujang 볶음 고추장 (Sauteed beef chili paste) Recipe
This is a variant of the chili paste dipping sauce that can be served with grilled, boiled, or stir fried meats, or various vegetable preparations. This is a basic variation that includes minced beef but omits the doenjang (soy bean paste) found in Ssamjang. Feel free to adjust quantities and ingredients until you arrive at the taste and texture you like best.
- 3 1/2 ounces lean beef
- 1 cup gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 ounce fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon white (untoasted) sesame seed
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed
- Partially freeze the beef for ease in prep.
- Thin slice the beef then fine chop (mince).
- Thin slice the garlic from top to bottom.
- Peel and thin slice the ginger, then fine chop (mince)
- Lightly coat a pan with cooking oil then heat over high heat.
- Add beef and garlic, and cook just until browned, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the gochujang and rice wine. Mix well and cook for about two minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Thin with water to desired constancy then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate until used.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.