was part of
Food Fight: Thanksgiving Sides
which ended Oct 31, 2008 12:00 AM.
See winners »
Easy Barley with Mushrooms Recipe
This is home-cooked comfort food at it’s best. the mushrooms make it meaty and the barley is so yummy. We have had it every year at our Thanksgiving meal for the last several years.
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 3/4 lbs (approx 4.5 cups) of mushrooms (portobellos, crimini, button, shitake - whatever you prefer), sliced
- 1.5 cups pearl barley
- 3/4 tsp. salt (more to taste after cooking)
- Black pepper to taste
- 4.5 cups of hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the onions, carrot, celery, mushrooms, barley, thyme (if using it) and saute, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms begin to brown and the barley starts to toast, about 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper after mushrooms have browned.
- Place mixture into a shallow 2 1/2 quart baking dish (like a 10 by 10
Corning Ware casserole) and pour in the hot stock. Cover tightly and bake 60 to 75 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. Be careful of the steam when removing the top.
- The barley should have a slightly crunchy texture when done. If it’s too hard after all the stock has been absorbed, add some boiling stock or water and cook another 10 to 15 minutes.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.