was part of
Food Fight: Thanksgiving Sides
which ended Oct 31, 2008 12:00 AM.
See winners »
Baked Lemon Sweet Potatoes Recipe
This is a family recipe that I remember having during the Holidays. It is good hot, room temperature and cold. It keeps well in the refrigerator (it usually gets eaten rapidly).
- 8 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- 2 cups light brown sugar mixed with ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 lemons, washed, dried and sliced as thin as possible (peel and all) no seeds
- 2 ½ sticks butter, melted (also soft butter for greasing baking dish)
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of brown sugar and salt mixture in the bottom of a lightly buttered baking dish (approx. 13”x9”x2”).
- Arrange slices of sweet potato and lemon in layers in the baking dish. Sprinkle each layer with the brown sugar and salt mixture, End with a layer of sliced lemon with brown sugar and salt sprinkled over the lemons.
- Pour the melted butter over potatoes evenly. Cover and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until lemons on top are lightly browned.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.