pesto tomato eggplant appetizers Recipe
this sunday i walked past a stand at the farmers market with all different kinds of eggplant. i got excited and inspired to make something delicious and beautiful with them, as well as the many tomatoes i already had in my bag.
it doesn’t hurts if your food is incredibly adorable either.
this recipe was blogged at http://sweetbeetandgreenbean.net along with lots of other vegan treats. check it out for the full post and more pictures!
- 2 small chinese eggplants
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup pesto
- olive oil to drizzle
- in a large bowl mix together the tomatoes, oregano, salt and half of the pesto.
- thinly slice the eggplant lengthways with a knife or vegetable peeler. if the eggplant is too wide you can cut it in half or fourths first.
- wrap the slices of eggplant in a tiny circle and stick a toothpick straight through to hold it together. if, like me, you don’t have toothpicks you can use the twig of rosemary after the leaves have been pulled off.
- fill the rolls with the tomato pesto mixture until they are full.
- top them off with a tiny scoop of pesto and a drizzle of olive oil.
- bake on a pan covered in parchment at 375F until toasty and brown, or about 35 minutes.
- let them cool slightly before removing from the pan with a spatula or tongs. make sure to take out the toothpick. serve warm.
- they are adorable if you top them with tiny basil tops. perfect as an appetizer for you next fancy party.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.