Roasted Potato Salad with Basil and Dill and Yogurt Mustard Dressing Recipe
If you are tired of fatty mayo packed store-bought potato salads and are looking for a refreshing flavor of fresh dill, basil, and lemon, this recipe will be just the ticket. It is healthy, because it is low in fat and high in nutrients. Main ingredients are young potatoes and eggs.
- 2.5 to 3 lbs. Young Potatoes, your choice of variety
- 6 eggs, organic are preferred
- 1 Lemon, juice and zest
- 1/4 to 1/3 Cups Chopped Green Onions
- 1/4 to 1/3 Cups Lightly packed Roughly Chopped Fresh Dill
- 4 to 6 Medium Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Cups Lightly packed Roughly chopped Fresh Basil
- 1/3 to 1/2 Cups of Plain Fat-free or Low-fat Yogurt
- 1 Lemon, juice and zest
- Several Dashes of Favorite Hot Sauce to Taste
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to Taste
- Several Dashes of Worcestershire Sauce to Taste
- 1 Tsp. Honey
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard or Grainy German-style Mustard
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. EVOO
- Begin by boiling water in a large pot. Cut larger potatoes into quarters and half smaller ones. Place them into boiling water and allow them to cook for about 15 minutes. This is just to pre-cook them, prior to roasting.
- While potatoes are boiling chop your fresh herbs and green onions and garlic you may want to put the garlic through a garlic press). Feel free to increase or decrease the amount of either basil or dill. Basil is excellent with eggs, so do not be afraid to increase the quantity.
- Zest your lemon and set the zest aside. Combine lemon juice, yogurt, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, honey and chopped herbs in a bowl.
- Remove potatoes from boiling water after 15 minutes and transfer them to an oven safe baking dish or a cookie sheet, making sure that they are in one layer to allow for easier roasting. I often use a cast-iron pan or roaster for this. Drizzle Olive Oil over the potatoes, and season them with a bit of salt and black pepper. Place the potatoes into the preheated oven for roasting. Once potatoes are nicely roasted and form a crispy crust remove them from the oven and let them chill.
- Turn on the oven, set it to bake, and preheat it to 400 deg. F.
- Into the boiling potato water gently place eggs, and allow for the water to gently boil for another 10 minutes. Then drain the eggs, and fill the pot with cold water to chill the eggs.
- After eggs are cool, peel the shells off and chop them roughly. Combine the eggs with potatoes and the rest of the ingredients. Season well, and you are good to go. Feel free to increase or decrease the amount of yogurt and lemon juice to adjust to your taste.
- For added freshness and leamony flavor add the zest and blend. Enjoy!
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.