This recipe produces a vegan “steak” that’s so tasty, so juicy, that you’ll never miss the real deal.
- 1Put all ingredients except gluten and cornmeal in a blender and blend until smooth.
- 2Place gluten and cornmeal in a large bowl. Pour contents of blender in and mix together. Knead into a firm ball. You may need to add a little more gluten flour as you knead. Dough should be still soft but not sticky.
- 3Cover bowl and let sit for one hour.
- 4Dust counter with gluten flour, and roll out the dough. Using a biscuit cutter, cut out six “steaks”.
- 5In a large pot, mix the following ingredients: 3 cups cold water, 3 Tbsp beef-style boullion, 1 1/2 Tbsp oil, 2 Tbsp Soya Sauce, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder.
- 6Place steaks into the cold broth, cover, and bring the contents to a slow simmer.Cook on low for about seventy-five minutes, turning occasionally.
- 7Allow steaks to cool about ten minutes, then place steaks and broth in a sealed container. To reheat later, put the steaks and the broth back in the pot and simmer just long enough to heat through.
- 8Serve with a spoonful of broth on top.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.