My husband and I traveled to Kauai, Hawaii this summer with friends and stayed in a timeshare condo. I had decided to fix a big breakfast the day before we left, including french toast, but realized after getting things going, we did not have suryp and only 4 packages of sugar. In a pinch I grabbed my friend’s box of Captin Cruch cereal and crushed it up, hoping it would add enough sweetness to the french toast. It was some of the best french toast I had ever eaten!! It is crunchy on the outside and soft and creamy on the inside with just enough sweetness! We now fix it for our family breakfast once a month. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 1In a large shallow bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and nutmeg.
- 2Soak the sliced bread in the egg mixture, turning over to make sure both sides are evenly covered.
- 3Pour the crushed cereal into a shallow bowl and evenly coat the egg soaked bread.
- 4In a large skillet heat the 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- 5Place 2 – 3 slices of the bread into the pan and cook until golden brown (approximately 2 -3 minutes on each side).
- 6Dust with confectioners sugar and serve immediately.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.