Brine Pickles Recipe
Brine Cuke Pickles are easy to make.
1 large clean jar
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp dill seed
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 3 Qts Water
- 6 Tbsp Plain Salt (Make sure it is NOT iodized) or Pickling Salt
- 4 Cukes sliced into spears
- After sliciing cukes place them in a large jar
Boil water in pot and add all of the spices and salt
Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes or until warm (not hot)
Slowly pour over cukes making sure all of the herbs and spices are in the jar and liquid completely covers cukes
cover loosly with lid and let stand for 2 days in warm place out of the sun.
- The cukes will begin to ferment within 24 hours. If all is going well there will be small bubbles in the water.
Make sure that the cukes are covered with water at all times or you may get mold.
after two days check to see if they are sour enough. If they are place them in the refrigerator. This will slow down the pickling process.
For more sour pickles leave them out an extra day.
Remember to keep an eye on them to avoid the mold.
- DO NOT EVER TIGHTEN THE LID DURING THE PROCESS!
This can cause VERY bad bacteria to grow.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.