Shrimp with Catupiry Cheese and Hearts of Palm Recipe
This recipe is very common in Brazil and a good use of Catupiry cheese.
- 2 lbs of fresh shrimp (medium or small size)
- 1 Catupiry cheese
- 1 can of hearts of palm, thinly sliced into rounds
- 4 large, juicy tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp of finely chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp of finely chopped green onions
- 1 tbsp of corn starch
- salt and pepper
- 10-15 whole peppercorns (you can leave these out if you don't want people biting into them)
- Parmesan cheese to sprinkle
- lime juice
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Spread cheese over bottom and sides of 13 × 9 pyrex.
- Peel, devein and wash shrimp, sprinkle with lime juice and salt. Leave in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Chop tomatoes into big chunks and puree in blender.
- Saute onion in olive oil until limp, add shrimp, cover and bring to a simmer.
- Add tomatoes, parsley, green onions and whole peppercorns. Simmer for fifteen minutes.
- Dissolve corn starch in milk.
- Add hearts of palm and milk to shrimp, stir for a couple of minutes and remove from heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (remember the cheese is salty!).
- Pour shrimp mixture into pyrex. Sprinkle top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted (about 15 minutes).
- Serve from pyrex with white rice as a side.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.