was part of
Food Fight: Egg Challenge
which ended Sep 19, 2008 05:00 PM.
See winners »
Asian Inspired Breakfast Omlette Recipe
Breakfast eggs at home can become a bore and although extremely simple can be difficult to master. This is an extremely easy, tasty change from the usual weekend egg dish. It is also a healthy alternative, as egg whites can suplement the whole eggs and a non-stick pan can replace any oil used. Vegetables included in omlette are suggestion only, any vegetables can be such as capsicum, brocolli, etc…
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 gloved garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium zuchini, sliced and halved
- 4 small mushrooms, sliced
- 6 eggs, whisked (or 2 whole eggs and 6 egg whites for lighter option)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Soy sauce, extra
- Cook jasmine rice, as per usual. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large non-stick frying pan.
- Gently saute onion, garlic and ginger until onion is transparent and cooked.
- Add zuchini and mushroom, fry for a further few minutes until lightly cooked.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl, add milk and salt and pepper.
- Add cooked ingredients to bowl with egg.
- Turn pan to high and add sesame oil, heating oil in pan for a minute.
- Add egg and vegetable mixture to pan and ensure even distribution of ingredient. Turn down pan immediately to low.
- Shake pan occasionally to ensure omlette is not stuck to the bottom. If able, fold omlette over, or can cook top by placing pan under a grill for a few minutes.
- Serve omlette on jasmine rice with extra salt and pepper. Can also serve with soy sauce if desired.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.