was part of
Food Fight: Egg Challenge
which ended Sep 19, 2008 05:00 PM.
See winners »
Curried egg and kipper salad Recipe
I love to read Rex Stout’s mysteries featuring the gourmet detective Nero Wolf. One of the recipes mentioned in his books gave me the idea for this delicious adaptation. The smokiness of the fish and the curry powder make this a very mellow choice for lunch or snack sandwiches.
I usually eat this immediately, it smells so good! Great on crackers, seeded rye bread, or any bread you like.
- 3 large eggs hard boiled, peeled and chopped medium fine
- 1 flat tin of kippered herrings, well-drained
- 1/2 c diced celery
- 1 T sweet pickle relish
- 1 T mild curry powder
- 2 T mayo or salad dressing
- 1 t cider vinegar
- 1/4 t sugar
- Combine mayo, sugar, sweet relish, curry powder and vinegar in cup, mix well and set aside.
- In med bowl combine celery, chopped eggs and kippers, using fork to break up fish into fine bits.
- Add dressing and mix well with spoon. Can be eaten right away or allowed to ‘marry’ flavors for a few hours in fridge.
- Dressing can be adjusted to taste. Grated apple can also be substituted for celery.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.