was part of
Food Fight: Egg Challenge
which ended Sep 19, 2008 05:00 PM.
See winners »
Easy, Elegant, Imperial Eggs (serves 3-4) Recipe
This dish is a real winner because it makes a delicate and delicious breakfast, brunch, lunch, supper, or late night snack!
- 6 thin asparagus spears
- 12 oz. fresh jumbo lump blue crab meat
- 1 tbsp. dry white wine
- 1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded white American cheese (or mild white cheddar)
- 8 fresh jumbo eggs
- 1 tbsp. fat free half-and-half
- 1 heaping tbsp. high quality mayonnaise
- just a pinch of white pepper
- Break off woody ends and cut asparagus spears into 1-inch pieces. Blanch for 4 minutes in boiling water. Drain, set aside.
- Place crab meat in a small bowl. Sprinkle with wine. Dust with Old Bay spice, and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Toss lightly and set aside to meld flavor.
- Crack eggs into a bowl. Add half-and-half, mayonnaise, pepper. Whisk together. Add drained asparagus and stir.
- Melt “butter” over medium heat in a 10-12" frying pan. Add egg mixture. As egg starts to set on bottom of pan, scrape with wide spatula from side to side a few times, distributing asparagus fairly evenly. Place crab mixture evenly over the pan, and continue to move spatula across the bottom, lifting and turning over as the eggs cook, until completely set.
- Plate the dish, garnishing with quartered tomatoes and basil leaves, or cantaloupe and Italian parsley.
- Serve with toasted bread, or English muffins, if you like.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.