Chili Verde Recipe
“Chili Verde” or green chiles with pork. This is my adaptation of a recipe submitted by an ICS (International Chili Society), competition winner.
- 4 pounds lean pork, cubed to 1/2"
- 1 pound hot green Hatch chiles, chopped medium-sized (3/4")
- 1/2 pound mild green chilies, chopped
- 2 pounds tomatillos
- 2 yellow onions, medium-sized, minced
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- neutral flavored oil
- salt to taste
- cilantro, fresh, chopped coarsely
- lime, quartered
- If you’re using fresh chiles, remove skin from chiles! Roast over fire till skin is blackened and sweat in brown paper sack till cool, then remove skin and seeds.
- Chop chiles, onions, garlic, tomatillos and cilantro. Use canned green chiles and a few jalapenos if fresh, hot Hatch is not available.
- Brown pork in oil. You could use bacon grease….
Remove. Sauté onions on medium heat, adding garlic when onion is mostly cooked. Do not burn garlic! Drain off any leftover oil or grease. Add meat back to pot with onions and garlic. Add chicken broth, bay leaves, hot and mild chiles, tomatillos, oregano and cumin. Cover and simmer. Check seasoning and adjust it and consistency as desired.
- Before serving remove bay leaves and serve chopped cilantro and lime to add as desired.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.