This recipe was part of the Food Fight: Egg Challenge which ended Sep 19, 2008 05:00 PM. See winners »
Alice's Italian Sausage Frittata Recipe
This originally came from a bed and breakfast style hotel that I stayed in years ago, but I’ve adapted it to my specs. It’s pretty delicious, and you can adapt it to what veggies you have on hand. It can be made ahead and it reheats beautifully.
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausages, removed from casings
- 1 tsp Italian spice, 1/2 tsp fennel
- 1 small bunch of green onions (or use red if you like things zesty)
- 1 cup of chopped mushrooms, or more
- chopped fresh basil, few sprigs of fresh oregano, fresh rosemary
- 8 eggs (can use up to 10), can add a couple of egg whites extra if desired
- 1 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- 2-3 cups grated mozzarella (or use 1 pkg. mixed Italian cheese)
- opt. - 1 pkg frozen spinach thawed and drained, or fresh cooked drained well, or some cooked broccoli
- opt. - a clove or two of fresh garlic, finely minced, a chopped red pepper
- Cook the sausage with the Italian spice and the fennel in a non stick pan, Drain off any grease. Add onions, mushrooms, garlic, (and broccoli or spinach if you wish and I a red pepper for color. Saute lightly. Can be done ahead and refrigerated.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs and fresh herbs. Add the sausage mixture and the cooked veggies. Mix in most of the cheeses.
- Pour into a buttered deep dish casserole pan (I use silicone pans), and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes till center is set and nicely browned. Let set about 10 minutes before cutting.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.