was part of
Food Fight: Egg Challenge
which ended Sep 19, 2008 05:00 PM.
See winners »
A hearty fusion of the Spanish tortilla española and a scandalous frittata.
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Break eggs into mixing bowl, separating 4 yolks from mixture as you beat the eggs. Whisk in the milk, flour, baking soda and however much salt you like to use.
- 2Parboil sliced potatoes for 10 minutes.
At the same time, in a large, deep ovenproof cast iron skillet at medium heat add 1 tbs olive oil and start sautéing the chopped onion, red pepper and jalapeno pepper for five minutes (do not turn off heat after 5 minutes just keep following the steps, you will be using this heat for the entire stove top cooking!).
When potatoes are done boiling, drain. After the onion mixture has sautéed for 5 minutes add another 2 tbs olive oil and then add half the potatoes.
Mix until potatoes are coated with olive oil.
Spread the potatoes across pan evenly. Add a bit of salt.
- 3Add half the eggs and all of the spinach, cheese, herbs, and crushed garlic (in this order).
- 4Layer the remaining potatoes on top then pour over the entire egg mixture.
- 5Add the remaining eggs and cook for a few minutes. The entire cooking time from the point you add the first eggs till now should be 5 or 6 minutes.
- 6Place mixture in oven for 15 minutes.
- 7Remove from oven. Let sit for another 5 minutes then serve immediately. Garnish with greek yoghurt, avocado and good salsa.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.