was part of
Food Fight: Egg Challenge
which ended Sep 19, 2008 05:00 PM.
See winners »
My mom’s recipe for egg curry in a traditional tomato-onion base —eat with jeera (cumin + ghee) rice. The amounts listed are my estimates since I’ve never cooked this according to a recipe—tweak accordingly.
- 1Hard-boil eggs; peel, slit halfway through, and set aside. Chop and boil potatoes till done. Also dice/puree tomatoes and onions (don’t combine).
- 2Heat oil in wok/saute pan. Add cumin seeds and let splutter. Add ginger and stir. Add onions and cook on high heat till brown and oil begins to separate from mixture. I like to think of it as frying the onions to death.
- 3Add tomatoes and continue cooking on high, again till oil begins to separate. The mixture should look like a dryish rust-colored paste.
- 4Add chili powder, cumin, turmeric, coriander. Mix well. Lower heat, add enough water to make thick gravy, and stir till well mixed.
- 5Add salt to taste. Bring to a simmer and add eggs and potatoes. Let simmer for a few minutes. Add garam masala, mix well.
- 6Garnish with cilantro; serve hot with jeera rice (cook cumin seeds in ghee, add to basmati rice with salt, and cook rice).
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.