Chickpea Potaje Recipe
This is a simpler variation on Chickpea Potaje, a Spanish chickpea-based stew. It’s fast, flavorful and can be made in a single pot. It works well either as a side or vegetarian main dish.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- pinch saffron
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 28 oz can of chickpeas, drained
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bunch fresh spinach or other leafy greens
- In a large sauce pan, saute garlic in olive oil over medium heat until golden.
- Add spices to oil/garlic mixture, let toast for a minute. (Note—spice measurements can be approximated), Next, add the chopped tomatoes, chickpeas and lemon juice. Cover mixture and allow to cook until tomatoes have cooked down to a saucy consistency, about 10 minutes.
- Wash spinach and coarsely chop. Remove chickpea mixture from heat and add spinach. Stir together and serve. Optional—crumble creamy feta or chevre on top.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.