This is my family’s traditional preparation of french cut green beans. You can apply this recipe to other vegetables, too. We use the same method for frozen cut okra, corn, and diced potatoes. It’s by far my favorite way to prepare vegetables, especially ones that I buy frozen as opposed to fresh.
You need to cook these green beans for as long as directed in the recipe, or else they won’t taste right. The beans will look and taste different than if they had been quickly sauteed, steamed, or stir-fried. With this method it’ll seem like you’re overcooking the vegetables, but this is the authentic Indian way, and it tastes amazing despite the minimal ingredients involved.
- 1Place a large, wide non-stick pan on medium to high heat. Add olive oil.
- 2When hot, add onions (if using) and cook until golden. Add green beans. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- 3Uncover and season with turmeric powder, salt, red chili powder, and shredded coconut (if using).
- 4Continue to cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently so that the beans don’t burn. When done, the beans will be dark green and will have reduced considerably.
- 5Remove from heat and serve over rice.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.