Vanilla Malt Frosting
Vanilla frosting is the ultimate topping for cakes or cupcakes. Here the classic is revved up with some malt powder, for a twist so tasty we stole a few spoonfuls of frosting to eat straight up.
What to buy: Malted milk powder is a natural sweetener made from barley malt, wheat, and milk, and is the key ingredient in malted milk shakes. Look for it next to the powdered chocolate milk and other drink mixes at your local grocery store.
Game plan: The frosting will last up to 1 week when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- 3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup malted milk powder
- 1/2 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitter with a paddle attachment, and beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated.
- 2Increase speed to medium high and beat until mixture is light and whipped, about 3 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl and the paddle.
- 3Add remaining ingredients and return to low speed until ingredients are incorporated. Increase speed to medium high and continue whipping until frosting is evenly combined and light, about 3 minutes. Use to frost cakes, cupcakes, or cookies.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved