Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Given to me by my girlfriend’s aunt, this never fails to please! Good to feed a breakfast crowd, or to refrigerate for a week’s worth of quick morning meals.
- 2 containers of crescent rolls
- 1 dozen large or extra large eggs
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage, mild or hot
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Tony Chachere's seasoning, if you can find it
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown the sausage in a pan and drain excess grease once it’s cooked.
- Return the sausage to the warm pan and mix in the cream cheese.
- Grease an 8×10 baking pan.
- Unroll the crescent rolls until they lie flat and line the baking pan with the dough. Press the edges together and bring the dough slightly up the sides of the pan. Save some strips for the top.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper, Tobasco, and Tony’s. Any seasoning is great here, have fun with it.
- Pour the sausage and cream cheese mixture over the dough in the baking pan, spreading evenly.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the sausage mixture.
- Pour the eggs over the sausage and cheese evenly.
- Place the remaining strips of dough over the eggs.
- Bake, uncovered, for approximately 30 minutes. Remove from oven, cover with foil, and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until a knife pulled through the casserole doesn’t show any egg running.
- Cut into squares and serve warm.
- This is also great with ham and other vegetables, like bell peppers. Salsa mixed into the eggs is a great addition. The dough and sausage portion can be done the night before, saving some time in the morning.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.