Ohhhh baby! This one is good! I am not a big fan of Tiramisu in that States, it tastes totally different than here in Italy – much boozier, mushier & all together not my fav. So when I was given a heaping plate for dessert at a friends house when we first arrived, I was a little nervous about how I was going to finish my plate – well it didn’t seem to be a problem at all because it was DELISH!
Below is a simple tiramisu recipe that we have shared with our guests both for dinner & for cooking classes – loved by all! We just had 2 big groups of Italians in town & they asked the following morning if they could have the tiramisu for breakfast! I think we found a winner -
*Secrets to the recipe:
1. The eggs- you can add more egg whites & yolks for a richer flavor
2. Booze it up – add your favorite Bailey’s, Nocino, Kahlua – any coffee complimenatry liquer will go nicely in this, add it into the coffee after cooled.
3. It’s all in the ladies – ladyfingers, that is – in Italy everyone know to only use one type Pavesini – they are hard to find in the States but its worth a try. These ladyfingers give it the perfect texture & really soak up the coffee.
- 2 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 3/4 cups mascarpone cheese
- 7 oz. ladyfingers*
- 3/4 cup freshly brewed extra strong coffee or espresso, cooled
- 7 oz. semisweet chocolate, grated
- unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting
- Stiffly whisk the egg whites in a grease-free bowl.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar in another bowl until pale & fluffly.
- Gently fold in the mascarpone, then the egg whites.
- Make a layer of ladyfingers on the base of a deep serving dish & brush them evenly with coffee (don’t be shy)
- Make a layer of the mscarpone cream and sprinkle/cover with grated chocolate (again don’t be shy- a nice layer of chocolate dusting)
- Continue making layers until all the ingredients are used, ending with a layer of mascarpone cream.
- Dust with cocoa and chill in the fridge for about 3 hours.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.