Chicken Avocado Egg Rolls Recipe
Developed by California Grown. See more recipes at http://californiagrown.org/cookbook/index.asp.
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup each: bamboo shoots and finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup each: julienne cut Napa and green cabbage
- 1/2 cup each: bean sprouts and shredded carrots
- 4 cups rice bran oil
- 2 avocadoes, peeled, pitted and cut into 24 strips
- 12 large egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- Heat canola oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add bamboo shoots, celery, ginger, garlic, and chicken; cook and stir for 5 minutes more. Let cool. In a medium bowl, combine cabbage, bean sprouts, carrots and chicken mixture. In a medium saucepan, heat rice bran oil to 350°F. (Oil should be deep enough so that egg rolls don’t touch bottom of the pan.) To prepare egg rolls, stir together egg and milk. Lay egg roll wrappers with corners facing like a diamond. Place equal amounts of filling and 2 strips avocado in the center of each. Fold in bottom, then sides and roll up making 4 to 5-inch long egg rolls, being careful not to tear wrappers. Seal with last corner with egg mixture. Dredge in egg mixture, then drain excess. Submerge in hot oil and fry until golden brown. Drain well on paper towels. Makes 12 egg rolls.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.