Baked Eggs with Saffron and Cumin Recipe
Saffron and cumin add a lot of fragrance to traditional baked eggs. A very easy dish to make, and good for brunch as well as later meals.
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, cubed
- 1 pinch saffron (6 or 7 threads)
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Toast cumin in a dry, medium- to large-sized skillet.
- Add vegetable oil, and cook onions over medium heat until soft, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and sprinkle in saffron and several pinches of salt. Cook, stirring, until mushy, about 5 minutes. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Divide tomato mixture into 2 large ramekins. Top each ramekin with 2 eggs. Bake in oven for 15 minutes, until whites and yolk are set (alternatively, until the whites are set and the yolk is just slightly runny). Remove from oven, dust the top with a tiny bit of crushed saffron and salt. Cool for 5 minutes or so before serving.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.