I made this on the weekend and it was amazing, the trick is to cook it over coals..
- 11. Heat oil in the paella pan over medium heat. Add onion, capsicum, tomato, garlic, chicken and calamari. Add rice and stir for 1 minute. Stir in stock, saffron and paprika.
2. When the stock is boiling and rice grains begin to swell, add crab and prawns. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes until the stock has reduced and the rice has begun to swell. Push the mussels and pippies into the rice and cook until the shells open. Finally add the peas, strips of capsicum and parsley and leave it for five more minutes on low heat.
- Grind the saffron thread with some salt in a mortar and pestle until it is like a fine powder. It will help to distribute it through the paella evenly giving a better colour and flavour to the finished dish.
- The perfect time to add the seafood to paella is when enough of the stock has been absorbed to allow the rice to be seen.
- Do not stir the paella during main cooking.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.