My Paella Recipe
I made this on the weekend and it was amazing, the trick is to cook it over coals..
- 3 tbsp olive oil 1 onion, finely chopped 1 red capsicum, chopped 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped 2 garlic cloves, crushed 300g chicken breast fillet, diced 200g calamari, diced 300g Spanish Calasparra rice (allow about 80g per person) 750ml fish stock 10 strings of saffron 2 tsp Spanish paprika 1 blue swimmer crab, divided into 4 pieces 4 large green prawns 8 fresh mussels 12 fresh pippies 200g peas 100g roast capsicum 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1. Heat oil in the paella pan over medium heat. Add onion, capsicum, tomato, garlic, chicken and calamari. Add rice and stir for 1 minute. Stir in stock, saffron and paprika.
2. When the stock is boiling and rice grains begin to swell, add crab and prawns. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes until the stock has reduced and the rice has begun to swell. Push the mussels and pippies into the rice and cook until the shells open. Finally add the peas, strips of capsicum and parsley and leave it for five more minutes on low heat.
- Grind the saffron thread with some salt in a mortar and pestle until it is like a fine powder. It will help to distribute it through the paella evenly giving a better colour and flavour to the finished dish.
- The perfect time to add the seafood to paella is when enough of the stock has been absorbed to allow the rice to be seen.
- Do not stir the paella during main cooking.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.