was part of
Food Fight: Chocolate Dessert Challenge
which ended Jun 13, 2008 05:00 PM.
See winners »
Outrageous Chocolate Brownies with Caramel Recipe
Outrageous is such a mediocre adjective to describe just how killer these brownies are! Several coworkers said they were the best brownies they’ve had in years. But seriously – how can you go wrong with 1 pound of butter and 2 pounds of chocolate!?
These brownies are easy to make, and they’re excellent the next day.
- 1 pound unsalted organic butter
- 8 oz high quality unsweetened chocolate
- Two 12-ounce bags high quality semisweet chocolate chips - divided
- 7 large organic eggs
- 3 T instant espresso powder
- 2 T real vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour - divided (1 cup and 1/4 cup)
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 10 oz high quality caramel (vanilla flavored is recommended)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a jelly roll pan (12×17″) with butter. You can dust the pan with flour, but I don’t like how it makes the brownies white on the bottom so I use loose cocoa powder instead.
- Melt together the 1 pound of butter, 8 oz of unsweetened chocolate, and one 12 oz bag of semisweet chocolate chips on top of a double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler, just boil about 3 inches of water in a sauce pan and place a glass or metal bowl (with the butter and chocolate) on top of the pan with boiling water. This will keep the chocolate from burning.
- Once the butter and chocolate is melted, cool slightly. Stir together eggs, espresso, vanilla and sugar. Stir in the warm chocolate and cool to room temperature.
- Stir together 1 cup of flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the remaining 12 oz bag of chocolate chips with the remaining 1/4 cup of flour. Add to the chocolate batter and pour into the prepared pan.
- Warm the caramel in a microwave for 20-30 seconds just so it’s soft and a little oozy. Pour evenly over the brownie mixture. Take a knife and “cut” the caramel into the brownies. Do this by cutting vertically and horizontally through the entire pan. It will create a nice swirl pattern that looks elegant once baked.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake! Cool thoroughly. You can refrigerate if you like, but just wrapping with plastic wrap is sufficient.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.