Rotkohl (German style red cabbage) Recipe
A great way to prepare the humble cabbage. Be careful, the red color of the cabbage can stain countertops.
- 1 red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 small yellow onion, finely sliced
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 medium tart apples (Golden Delicious, Fuji, Braeburn, etc), cored and sliced
- 1 cup unfiltered apple juice (to just cover the cabbage)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (or more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch of caraway seeds
- 2 cloves
- Fry the bacon over medium heat and remove, leaving the fat.
Saute the onion until soft and slightly browned.
Add the cloves, caraway seeds and heat one minute longer.
- Add the apple juice, salt, brown sugar, cabbage and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the apples, crumbled bacon and cook for 30 minutes longer or until desired doneness.
- During cooking, add apple juice if needed to cover the cabbage.
Just before completion, taste for acid/sweet balance and add juice or vinegar if needed.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.