Lake House Beans Recipe
During Summer’s at the lake all the neighbors have pitch in dinners after a day of boating, sunning or fishing. These beans are always a hit with no leftovers. This recipe uses Pinto Beans but any dried beans will work. Thes beans can be served as soup or side dish.
- 1 Pound Dried Pinto Beans
- 5 Slices of Bacon (Cut Into 1" Pieces)
- 1 Large White or Yellow Onion (Chopped)
- 2 Stalks Celery (Sliced)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (Crushed & Chopped)
- 3 Tbsp Orrington Farms Ham Seasoning
- 2 Pounds Smoked Sausage (Sliced)
- 1/2 Tsp. Ground Red Pepper (or to taste)
- 1 Cup Strong Black Coffee
- Sort Pinto Beans to remove any dirt or debris. Add beans to heavy Dutch Oven, add water to cover beans approximately 2". Bring to boil, turn off heat and cover for 1 hour. Drain water and rinse the beans.
- Wash and dry the Dutch Oven and add the Bacon. Cook Bacon over medium heat until the fat is rendered out and add Onions and Celery. Cook until tender. Remove from heat and add Garlic. The residual heat will cook the Garlic without burning it.
- Add the Pinto Beans and cover with water. Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to allow beans to simmer. In a seperate sauce pan add 3 Cups water and bring to a boil. Stir in the Ham Seasoning until disolved. Add to the beans along with the coffee.
- Simmer the beans for approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours untill just tender. Add the Smoked Sausage and cook for an additional 1/2 hour.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.