This recipe was part of the Food Fight: Chocolate Dessert Challenge which ended Jun 13, 2008 05:00 PM. See winners »
Buttermilk Chocolate Cake Recipe
My mom has been making this cake for more than 30 years. It is by far the best choclate cake I have ever had. It goes with Buttermilk Chocolate Frosting, which should be listed in this recipe section as well.
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 sticks butter (melted)
- 4 Tablespoons cocoa
- 1 Cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 Cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix flour, sugar and baking soda.
- In saucepan, mix butter, cocoa, water and bring to boil.
- Pour butter mixture over flour mixture and mix until well-incorporated.
- Beat in eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and nuts.
- Pour batter into 13×9×2 pan.
- Bake 35 minutes.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.