Meyer Lemon Digestif
CHOW Food Team
Meyer lemons are popular for their well-balanced, floral flavor. But they’re not widely available and have a frustratingly short growing season. To keep them around well past the winter months, we’ve made them into a digestif that can be enjoyed all year long.
What to buy: We chose Everclear 151 grain alcohol to use in our digestifs; it picks up the flavoring elements much faster than vodka.
This recipe was featured as part of our Make Your Own Digestifs project, as well as our DIY Holiday Gifts Advent Calendar.
- 8 medium Meyer lemons
- 2 cups grain alcohol, such as Everclear 151
- 1 1/2 cups Rich Simple Syrup
- 1Using a vegetable peeler, remove lemon peel in wide strips, making sure to avoid the white pith.
- 2Place peels in a 1-quart glass jar with a tightfitting lid, add alcohol, cover, and let steep, at room temperature, undisturbed, for 12 days.
- 3After 12 days, remove peels and add rich simple syrup. Stir to combine. Store in the freezer.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved