Melon Salad with Sweet Wine and Lemon
Sweet, flavorful melons are the stuff summer dreams are made of, and this simple preparation celebrates their arrival. Seek out a variety of locally grown melons to get the most out of this refreshing salad.
What to buy: We used a white Muscat, a sweet dessert wine made from fragrant Muscat grapes, in this recipe. However, various sweet dessert wines such as Sauternes will work too. Just be sure to stick to white, because a dark wine will turn the fruit gray.
This recipe was featured as part of both our Cooking with Summer Ingredients story and our Picnic Recipes photo gallery.
- 1/2 cup sweet dessert wine, such as white Muscat
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lightly packed lemon zest (from 1/2 medium lemon)
- 6 pounds mixed melon (such as cantaloupe, honeydew, ambrosia, Canary, Sharlyn, or Crenshaw), large dice (about 9 cups)
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1Place wine in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until reduced by about 1/4, about 7 minutes.
- 2Add honey and lemon zest and stir until honey is dissolved.
- 3Place melon and blueberries in a large bowl, pour wine mixture over top, and toss to combine. Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved