I’m not sure whether this is correctly called Sago pudding since I have my mom’s recipe with the title in Chinese (which I can’t read unfortunately). If you have ever been to dim sum and seen the white Jello-like blocks sometimes with red bean on the bottom – this is what the recipe is for!
- 1Pour the gelatin on top of 1 cup of water or coconut juice (not milk) to start the dissolving process. I just put it in the pan/pot I intend to “mold” the pudding in.
- 2Boil evaporated milk and coconut milk. Microwave is great and easy – put it in a pyrex measuring cup if you have a big one.
- 3Pour the milk into the gelatin and mix to fully dissolve gelatin.
- 4Combine cornstarch with remaining 1.5 cups of water and pour directly into the gelatin-milk mixture. The cornstarch will not dissolve and gives the pudding an interesting taste/texture.
- 5Add the beans. Extra credit for taking the meat of a young coconut, dicing it and putting into the pudding!
- 6Put in refrigerator to chill and firm.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.