2 Squash and Crawfish Gratin
I made a large batch of this in early Summer to serve next to some Bourbon and Sake marinated Rib-eyes. We ate it on a lake in North Louisiana but the enjoyment would not be compromised by having it in a non-aquatic environment.
- 1lb Crawfish Tails
- 3 Sweet Onions, chopped
- 3c Fresh Bread Crumbs, toasted
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, minced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
- 1 Large Spaghetti Squash or 2 medium Acorn Squash
- 1 Large Butternut Squash
- 1/4c Brandy
- 2t Thyme
- 2 Eggs, whipped
- 1/3lb Brie, rind removed and cubed
- 1c White Wine, Spanish might be nice
- 1/3c Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Butter, Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper
- 1Start early in the day by caramelizing the Sweet Onions in about 2T or Butter and 1T of Olive Oil with a little salt. Just put it all in a small saucepan and cover, then cook for about 4 hours on low heat. Just check on it from time to time.
- 2About 3 hours in, halve the Squashes and scoop out the seeds, discarding or toast and eat them, if you are into that kind of thing.
- 3Grease a baking pan with some Corn Oil and put the Squash, cut side down, on the sheet and put into a 400F oven for about an hour.
- 4In a large skillet heat a little Olive Oil and sauté the Crawfish Tails for about 20 minutes, the add the Bell Pepper, Garlic, Thyme and Brandy; taking care not to light yourself on fire. Reduce for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- 5Stir in the cubes of Brie. Add some White Wine if the mixture starts to get too thick
- 6Remove the Squash meat from the skin and place in a large bowl. Add the now Caramelized Sweet Onions to the simmering pan and stir to combine.
- 7Pour the Crawfish and Onion mixture into the bowl with the Squash and combine until there are no large chunks of Squash. Add the Bread Crumbs, holding back about ½c. Fold in the Eggs and a little Cream, if you have it. Try not to over work the mixture.
- 8Place this mixture in a greased casserole dish and sprinkle the remaining Bread Crumbs and grated Parmesan Cheese over the top. Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes.
- 9Wake up in the middle of the night and have some leftovers.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved