Hoddeok (Brown Sugar Pancake) Recipe
Hoddeok is a popular snack food sold on the streets of Korea. It also happens to be one of the most searched for recipes on my web site.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoon warm water
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon milk
- cooking oil as needed
- 1 1/2 tablespoon crushed walnut, pecan, peanut, or pine nuts
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- cinnamon to taste
- Mix the warm water, yeast, and sugar in a small bowl.
Let stand 10 minutes.
- Mix the all purpose and sweet rice flours together, then sieve into a large bowl.
- Add salt, milk, and yeast water and mix well.
- Cover with a warm damp towel and let stand in a warm place for three hours.
- Mix all filling ingredients in a small bowl.
- Separate the dough into six equal portions.
- Flatten the dough to cover the palm of your hand.
- Place one slightly rounded tablespoon of filling in the center and seal the dough around the filling.
- Repeat with each portion.
- Heat a large pan over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add one tablespoon oil.
- Place two dough portions into the hot pan, turning when bottom is slightly
- Press (flatten) with an oiled spatula and cook until bottom is golden brown, then turn.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Repeat for all dough portions.
- Serve warm.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.