Eat Nopal's Cali-Fornicated Sandwich No. 5 Recipe
In honor of the greatest state in the Union, I present you with a miscegination of flavors from the Mediterranean, Middle East, Western Europe & Mexico in the true California tradition.
- S.F. style Sourdough Bread - 2 Slices toastedd (1/2 inch thick)
- Hummus - 2 Tablespoons (preferably homemade... preferably my wife's leftover homemade hummus which uses roasted garlic instead of fresh & lemon zest)
- Chevre - To Taste (for my palette... about 1 1/2 ounces)
- Baby Spinach - Two Handfuls
- White Onion - 1/4 medium diced
- Pureed Chipotles en Adobo slightly thinned with Chicken Broth - 1 Tablespoon
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Rendered Lard
- Thinly Sliced Tomatoes
- Salt to Taste
- Sautee the onions on medium heat with the lard until golden brown
- Pour the Adobo puree in & sear until it coats the onions well
- Add the raw Spinach Leaves, sautee for 1 minute… pinch of salt…. then turn down the heat to low continue cooking for another 2 minutes…
- Spread hummus on one bread, Chevre on the other, spoon the Spinach over the Chevre, add Tomato slices & cover it up!
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.