Coconut and Curry Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe
A few years ago The Cayman Islands was heavily impacted by Hurricane Ivan. In the aftermath people quickly needed to cook/eat the meats before they spoiled. A small, ready to light and use, disposable grill (That was orignally purchased for a beach camping trip) came to be of great use when the chicken had thawed and a few seasonings with a can of cocunut milk was available. This made a great dish and has since then been used to accompany a variety of other dishes and is super yummy and easy!
- 1 Skinless chicken breast
- 1 Can of Coconut Milk
- Seasonings: 5 tablespoons of Curry powder, Nature's Seasoning blend, Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- fresh, rinsed spinach leaves and a side of poppyseed & mango dressing
- Rinse Chicken breast. Take a meat tenderizer and gently tenderize/flatten the chicken breast This will allow the yummy seasonings and coconut to really soak into the chicken and allow the chicken to cook quickly and evenly.
- In a medium bowl combine all other ingredients: Nature’s Seasoning Blend, Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground pepper (Go light on the salt as a little of this salt goes a long way-and you can always add a bit more later) coconut milk and the curry powder. Mix everything together until the coconut milk takes on the yellow color of the curry and there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Add the tenderized/flat chicken breast to the bowl, cover and refridgerate for about 8 hrs. (All this time allows for the chicken to really soak everything up) -This works well to do overnight.
- Start a charcoal grill and once the the flames on the grill have subsided place the chicken breast on the grill to slowly cook over the smoky grill (I used a disposable grill right outside my apartment and it makes for a really easy clean up!)-
- Throughout the grilling/smoking process evening pour/baste on the curry/seasoning sauce and turn the chicken breast over every 8-12 minutes (We don’t want this lovely chicken to get too burned) and after about 15-18 minutes of cooking you should have a lovely curry coconut smoked breast!
- Allow chicken to cool and then slice into strips and place atop a fresh spinach salad that has been lightly drizzled with a mango/poppyseed dressing… And now you have a wonderful and healthy lunch, appetizer or main course at dinner.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.