Cuttlefish and Meatball Ragout with Artichokes and Peas Recipe
This is a classic mar i muntanya dish of cuttlefish, meatballs and two springtime vegetables—peas and artichokes. I got this recipe from my Catalan mother inlaw and have been trying to perfect it since.
The sauce builds off of tomatoes and onions bases. Then in the final minutes is thickened with crushed nuts and bread.
One important note: remember to save the salsa or brownish pouch inside the cuttlefish (it in next to the pouch of ink). This is added to the sauce for maximum flavor.
- 1 cuttlefish, cut into 1 inch cubes and salsa reserved
- 3/4 lbs ground pork
- 1 egg
- 3 sprigs of parsley
- 2 pieces of stale bread, 1 fried and 1 soaked in 3 tblsp of milk
- 2 garlic
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 onion, minced
- 4-6 threads of saffron
- 1/2 cup of dry wine
- 6 hazelnuts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 chili pepper, optional
- Several sprigs of fennel leaves, chopped (optional)
- 4-6 artichokes, quartered
- 1 cup of peas
- Make meatballs:
- Mix ground pork, egg, garlic, parsley and fennel leaves. Tear up bread which has been soaking in milk and mix in. Add salt and pepper. Form into medium meatballs and lightly coat with flour. Brown meatballs and set aside.
- Make cuttlefish and sauce:
- In main saute pan, brown cuttlefish in oil (but not salsa). Set aside. In the same oil, saute onions. Add tomato. Cook at medium heat until thickened, 5-7 minutes. Add meatballs, salsa, artichokes, chili pepper and wine. Simmer gently at medium heat for about 20 minutes, adding water when needed. Add peas and continue cooking until peas are soft but not mushy about 7 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, make picada (thickening agent):
- In mortar and pesto, crush nuts and fried bread. Add 2-3 tbls of water to make a paste. 2 minutes after peas have been put in, add picada. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.