Drunken Watermelon Pops
Watermelon soaked in vodka has long been a favorite of resourceful frat bothers and sorority sisters. This adult version, with a touch of Chambord and vanilla, maintains the fun factor while being refined enough to serve to more discriminating revelers.
Game plan: You’ll have some liquid left over from soaking the melon—we’ve heard it makes for a good addition to cocktails.
This recipe was featured as part of our Wii gaming menu, as well as our Cooking with Summer Ingredients story.
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup Chambord or other raspberry-flavored liqueur
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped, seeds reserved
- 1 (7-pound) seedless watermelon, peeled and cut into large dice (about 12 cups)
- 1Combine vodka, Chambord, and vanilla seeds in a large bowl. Add watermelon and toss to coat. Set aside and let soak at room temperature, mixing occasionally, until the liquor flavor has saturated the melon, about 30 minutes.
- 2Drain off the vodka mixture (reserve for cocktails as desired) and arrange the watermelon in a single layer on a baking sheet. Place in the freezer until frozen, about 4 hours. Serve with toothpicks.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved