Succotash Soup Recipe
A great way to use corn and, er, get rid of lima beans. The green onions (scallions) give it a vichysoisse like taste at much lower cost.
- 1 lb. frozen corn, or equivalent fresh kernels
- 1 can (16 oz.) creamed corn
- 1 lb. frozen lima beans
- 1 qt. chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 bunches green onions (trimmed to 50% green, 50% white tops and diced)
- 1 lemon
- 1 medium russet potato, finely diced
- 1 poblano or Anaheim chile, roasted, deskinned, deseeded
- In a large pot sweat the onion until translucent. Add the creamed corn, chicken stock, lima beans, potato and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the green onions, frozen corn, chile and simmer for 15 more minutes. If too thick, add water. Puree the soup using a stick blender or remove to a stand up blender; return to the pot.
- Zest the lemon into the soup. Juice the lemon, strain and add to the soup. Add ground black pepper and salt to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.