Tostones are Patacones are Tachinos are Plantain Chips. In the end, it just depends if it’s a Dominican, Cuban, Colombian or Puerto Rican home serving what can be considered the Latin equivalent of the American French Fry. Tostones are sliced fried green plantains, smashed and refried and are served in many Latin homes for lunch and/or dinner up to three, four times a week. It’s tradition.
Here’s a different take on the traditional toston! Enjoy.
The Simple Chef, Chef DonClark
- 1Get your ingredients ready: cook the refried beans, the turkey sausage, cut the onions, etc. I’m giving this an active time of 40 minutes, because nothing is being cooked from scratch. You can —but this more of a quick afternoon snack item.
- 2Peel the skin off the green plantain. Do not be discouraged if at first it seems somewhat difficult. Like anything else —it’s a technique that takes a little practice. (see below) If your local market does not carry green plantains, ask the Produce Manager of your supermarket to start carrying the fruit. It’s not a difficult item to carry . . . many times Produce Managers are clueless to the changing food trends.
- 3Once peeled, cut the green plantain in half. Take those half pieces and slice down the middle. You should have 4 slices per green plantain. These slices will need to be smashed or flattened. I use The Colombiano, available at www.Tostobueno.com
- 4The slices are fried TWICE. You can use a deep fryer. You can use a deep skillet, etc. The oil has to cover the slices. The first fry takes about 8 minutes. If you are a little unsure, about too much or not too much frying —at around 7 minutes, take the slices out and wait about 30 seconds for the green plantain tostada to cool down. Poke. If the cut slices give, you are fine. If not, fry another minute.
- 5After the first fry, this is when you smash the slices with “The Colombiano” to make your “green plantain tostadas.”
- 6Place back in oil for about 3 minutes.
- 7Take green plantain tostadas out of fryer. Place on paper towel for about 30 seconds to cool down. Top with refried beans, turkey sausage, salsa, cheese, hot peppers, lettuce, tomato.
- 8Slice . . . 2 or 4. You decide. Or just pick up and eat. Just have some napkins around.
- 9Enjoy with favorite beer and turn on the game!
- 10TO LEARN HOW TO PEEL A GREEN PLANTAIN SEE VIDEO:
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.