was part of
Food Fight: Desperation Dinner Challenge
which ended Mar 31, 2008 05:00 PM.
See winners »
Shrooms of Doom Recipe
You have this stuff in the house. You are hungry. You need vegetables.
- 1 can of mushrooms - cheapo pieces and stems OK
- 1 onion, chopped
- Garlic if you have it, or garlic powder
- Shredded cheese or whatever kind of cheese you have on hand
- 1 egg (optional)
- Salt, pepper, hot sauce
- Toast, tortilla, leftover pasta (optional)
- Squeeze the bejeezus out of a can of mushrooms until you’ve gotten all the liquid out or you just don’t care anymore. In a non-stick skillet, saute the mushrooms in the butter along with the onion until the onions are browned and the mushrooms have developed some taste. Add some garlic now, or don’t. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- If you have an egg, this is the time to decide whether the (optional) applies to you. Would you like an egg? Well then go ahead and scramble it and pour it over. I mostly like it without the egg. Cover the whole mess with an obscene amount of shredded cheese. Let the cheese get stuck to the bottom of the pot while you toast an english muffin or whatever you happen to be using for a raft. Like hot sauce? I do!
- Sit yourself in front of the TV and see what flavor of Law & Order is on while you enjoy your masterpiece. You could’ve eaten that nasty old frozen dinner but you rose above. You rock.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.