was part of
Food Fight: Desperation Dinner Challenge
which ended Mar 31, 2008 05:00 PM.
See winners »
Black Bean Soup with Rum Over Brown Rice Recipe
This is a tasty soup on-the-go. With tons of veggies and protein, it’s also quite wholesome. I almost always have the ingredients in my pantry or freezer, and it’s quite a versatile base for other ingredients.
The rum is a feisty addition.
- Brown rice (white rice is also fine)
- 2 Tb butter
- 1 small white onion
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- chili powder or cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can of black beans
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Optional ingredients: 3 Tb of rum, canned diced tomatoes (I prefer Tuttoroso or Muir Glen), frozen corn kernals, red or green bell peppers, chicken, sausage, parmesan cheese rind.
- white pepper and salt, to taste
- OPTIONAL: Lime juice
- Cook brown or white rice per instructions.
- In saucepan, on medium heat, heat oil. Cook diced onions and garlic until onion is transparent. Add chili powder and cumin to the onions and saute for a few seconds.
- OPTIONAL: Add 3 Tb of rum to the onion mixture and simmer for about 1 minute
- Add chicken broth and can of black beans. Raise to a boil, then simmer for about 8-10 minutes. This is also a great way to use up parmesan rinds in your fridge. Just add the rind along with the black beans.
- I like to add canned tomatoes and frozen corn kernals to this mix, but you can also add other veggies, especially red or green bell peppers and/or cilantro.
- Sprinkle salt and white pepper to taste.
- Scoop the rice into a bowl. Spoon the black bean soup over it. Squeeze some lime juice and enjoy!
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.