was part of
Food Fight: Desperation Dinner Challenge
which ended Mar 31, 2008 05:00 PM.
See winners »
Hoppin' Jane Recipe
A quick and simple meal when the fridge is empty and all you have is your pantry and freezer! This is a simple one-pot dish, inspired by Hoppin’ John.
(This is the pantry-freezer version. If you happen to have fresh tomatoes, okra, sausage or black-eyed peas, go ahead and use those instead!)
- 1 15.5 oz can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed (we like Goya)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (we like Muir Glen Organic Fire-Roasted)
- 1 package frozen chopped okra
- 1 package pre-cooked andouille sausage (usually 4 or 5 sausages) cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbl. oil or butter (to grease the pan)
- Optional: salt, pepper, garlic salt, chili power (to taste)
- Pre-heat oil in a deep-sided pan.
Saute onion and sausage together in pan until just browned.
- Add okra to pan.
- Once okra is mostly thawed, add tomatoes and black-eyed peas to pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until warm.
- Season to taste with salt/pepper or garlic salt/chili powder
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.