was part of
Food Fight: Desperation Dinner Challenge
which ended Mar 31, 2008 05:00 PM.
See winners »
Gnocchi a la Foof Recipe
This is simple and impossible to screw up… unless you overcook your gnocchi into a gloppy, sodden mess. In which case, you have no business cooking at home.
- 1 package gnocchi - can also use penne if desperate.
- About 1/2 cup of olive oil, more or less depending on how you like it.
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- A good handful of nuts - pine nuts or roughly chopped walnuts are best
- A few cups of greens - a bitter green like chard is great, but frozen leaf spinach is good in a pinch. Just defrost it and drain first
- Salt and fresh pepper, plus crushed red pepper if you'd like
- Parmesan or Romano cheese, whatever's on hand
- If you want to be REALLY fancy, a bit of truffle oil
- Heat olive oil in a big, deep pan. When it’s nice and hot, add garlic and nuts. Cook until the nuts are toasty and the garlic is starting to color a bit.
- In the meantime, cook the gnocchi according to the package directions. The should only take about 2 minutes to cook so WATCH THEM.
- When garlic and nuts are toasty and delicious, knock the heat down to way, way low and toss in the greens. Let them wilt for a minute or two.
- The gnocchi should be done by now. Drain them, saving about 1/2 cup of water. Add the gnocchi to the pan, along with the cooking water. Season with salt and pepper. Let it all get all juicy and delicious for a minute, and remove from heat.
- Serve topped with cheese and if you’re feeling daring, a splash of olive oil; if you are hoping to get some booty from your dinner date, sub truffle oil.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.